Friday 7 August 2015

A Predictable Walk is Possible...

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."
John 14: 12-14
 
Doing more than Jesus. Terrifying promises on the surface, but we do it every day. Jesus never had a laptop or an internet connection. Wireless communication then was carrier pigeons.

But Jesus was consistent. He may have accelerated some of the natural processes, but he never broke a single law set out by God the Father at creation. Water is a key ingredient in making wine. Even doctors will tell you that to recover fully most patients need to be told they will recover by someone they can trust beyond any doubt.

Spiritually it's the same. Jesus demonstrated patterns to us.
  1. Identify the need
  2. Ask God what you can do to use the gifts He placed in you to help
  3. Ask the person to exercise their faith with yours
  4. Have the courage to step out and use the gift, no matter the personal potential for loss and humiliation
  5. Don't back down: stay resolute in the battle
  6. See the victory - not always quickly, but see it nonetheless.
Six simple steps but steps we seldom make because of fear. But when we do follow through we receive those things that are termed "miracles" but should be "Thursday afternoon." Don't mistake me, I am in awe when I allow God to use me this way, but I'm a nervous wreck when He does. The enemy bombards with "what if" words which discourage and break down the resolve. It's a battle that needs to be one in our own heart before it is waged on behalf of others by us. We need to stand on solid ground we are sure of. First turn the list on yourself. For me, that's a work in progress. I struggle with unforgiveness and anger towards people. I have no right to hold on to the pain caused, but I struggle to let go.

But when I get past it, I can let God use me. I have friendships born in furnace-heat fire which are stronger than steel and purer than gold and infinitely more precious that began with me taking the nudge from God and saying "Hey, God says I need to talk to you about "X", whatever it is. Scares me witless every time. Never been wrong.

All I did was follow the steps and I got a predictable outcome. 100% victory when I followed the steps.

Consider the universe. Such orderly creation cannot come from a mind we cannot know or trust to be consistent. And if God is the same today as He was in Jesus' day then we have nothing to fear by approaching Him and asking BIG as long as we ask in line with His Will. We find that written in our hearts. Mine is writing and flying. I'm halfway there!

The laws of physics and chemistry were designed by intelligence to work perfectly. They always work and never fail. As Scotty in Star Trek would say, "Ye Canna change the laws of physics," and he's right. We can't, but through the power of His name we can manipulate them to achieve God's outcome.

Predictable outcomes are crucial for us to grow as Christians. If we don't see consistent results at our current level of faith, we can never be stretched to reach for the next level of our faith. We stay on  milk spiritually - it's a great way to wither and die. As we grow we need more sustenance to grow. That can only be found by reaching a place where our prayers are answered daily. Predictably.

The predictability of the outcome comes when we see that our constant routine produces the same result. Then we adjust the sights - same steps - onto larger targets. I know of a minister who started out needing $1,000 per month who after being faithful for some time now needs $1,000,000 per month and growing to keep his ministry running. He learned the power of living a predictable Christian life.

Not dull.

Not mundane.

Predictable. Perhaps terrifying and uncomfortable, but predictable outcomes.

We can all do that.

Just remember the steps:
  1. Identify the need
  2. Ask God what you can do to use the gifts He placed in you to help
  3. Ask the person to exercise their faith with yours
  4. Have the courage to step out and use the gift, no matter the personal potential for loss and humiliation
  5. Don't back down: stay resolute in the battle
  6. See the victory - not always quickly, but see it nonetheless.
And move into a predictable, victorious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whilst comments are not moderated before publication, any offensive or abusive comments will be removed.