Sunday 3 November 2013

One of These Lives Has a Future

Like a lot of people, I enjoyed "The Matrix" when it was released - the first more than the sequels. The concept of us living in a world where we are sleeping and the world we see around us is not the "real" world.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." writes CS Lewis in Mere Christianity. The simplicity of the statement is jaw-dropping. Lewis sums up in one sentence what the screenwriters took two hours to say.

With one important difference.

Lewis was stating a Truth.

We are all faced with the same choice Neo is given by Morpheus. Which pill to take. "I did not say it would be easy. I only said it would be the truth" - so Morpheus tells the newly awakened Neo.

We have that same choice. Accept the sacrifice of Christ - the red pill - and your life changes forever. But it doesn't guarantee it will be easy. Quite the opposite. Jesus tells us we will have troubles in this world. He tells us we will be persecuted for following Him. He tells us that a day will come when killing His followers will appear to be a "godly" thing to do.

Or there's the blue pill.

Deny the Truth we know in our hearts and keep going in the same pattern we have always been stuck in. A few people I was at school with have connected with me via Facebook. After over 20 years they still have the same pattern of thinking they had at school. They refuse to believe in any god, particularly Christ.

It saddens me when they talk to me. The Bible is disregarded as a fiction. Christ's very existence brought into question despite more non-canonical primary source historical documents mentioning Him than there are mentioning Julius Caesar. Ignronace that has been chosen is somehow more saddening to me than ignorance that has come from never being exposed to Truth. Choosing ignorance is heartbreaking to see.

Over the years I've been in the situation where I've been the one to ask a friend if they wanted to accept Christ a few times. Thankfully, most of the time the prompting I had resulted in them accepting Christ, but twice it didn't. I hope the two people concerned will live long enough to make the choice again.

Neo has to free his mind of the influence the Matrix has over him before he can live free.

Luke Skywalker has to hear a similar message when Yoda tells him "do or do not. There is no 'try'".

Jesus tells the disciples "Only believe".

One life has a future.

The choice is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whilst comments are not moderated before publication, any offensive or abusive comments will be removed.