Thursday 31 March 2011

Trusting Despite the Circumstances

Sometimes we can do everything right and still the Enemy of our soul scores a point. It's not that God doesn't care, or is incapable of intervening, rather it comes down to something in us missing the ball. Eventually we all must encounter this experience, since in this world we are far from perfect. Even St Paul may have had some issues, and we know Timothy did from Paul's advice to him to take wine for the sake of his stomach!

Our health and our prosperity are perhaps the two area where Satan will attack most, since they are the areas most of us are most vulnerable in. We can generally cope if our health is intact, but then the bills start piling up and we scream "God these BILLS!!!" He gives us prosperity and we find ourselves with sickness in our lives, either in ourselves, or in those we love.

Sometimes it's easier when the sickness is in our own body. We can rationalise that. But having to sit by whilst a loved one, even a saved loved one, is diagnosed with cancer, diabetes or some other illness with no "cure" can be even worse.

I wrote recently on the difference between Truth and  Fact, and the point I was trying to make is that facts are subject to change. Truth is, by it's nature, unchangeable. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6) He was also heard to say "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." Either that was very profound, or Jesus had no concept of correct grammar. I suspect the former. Truth is unshakeable. If we place our trust in the Truth of God's Word, which He places above His Name, then our foundation is solid.

For us to trust God in our lives, we need a foundation of Truth. When that is in place, we can endure whatever the enemy throws at us. The house may shake, but it will ultimately stand.

Building a relationship on fact alone when talking about God is like building on sand. If I base my relationship with Him on the fact that there is money in my bank account and health in my body, then I am set up for a fall. But if I build it on the Truth that if He is with me I am prosperous whether I have money or not and He has healed me according to His promises in Isaiah and Peter, then whatever my bank balance or my doctor may say the Truth will hold me firm.

So the circumstances will come in this life where we have the occasion to accept or reject Truth because of what the facts tell us. We then start to live under the circumstances, and we are tossed about in the storm. It is infinitely better to anchor deep, hold on to the Truth, and ride out the onslaught of facts. They can always be changed. The Truth is eternal.

So smile at your issues. Laugh at your problems. Trust Jesus with your heart in spite of the circumstances, and live life to its fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whilst comments are not moderated before publication, any offensive or abusive comments will be removed.